Monday, May 23, 2011

RiP: Are you getting ripped off?


            I think the filmmaker made this film to show the unfairness in the copyright laws and express the impact downloading and remixing has on our society today. His intention was to expose the government and the ridiculous laws they have made to prevent people from being creative. The film maker made this film because he's against these laws and wants to change it by bringing awareness to people and making people stand up for what they think is right. I agree that people should be able to remix songs and make something new out of pieces of music. I think that without older music, we wouldn't have any of the new music we have today. Just because they aren't physically taking other people's music and making a new song doesn't mean people don't copy other people. I think that as long as you give credit to the artist it should be fine to use a piece of their song (just not copy the whole song).

            I think it is okay to have somewhat of a bias when you are trying to get other people to support your side of the argument, but I think they should have a fair representation of the other side of the argument. I think this film portrays the other side as very unfair and says that it doesn't have any justified means to do what they are doing (charging people for taking music without paying for it). I don't think the film successfully interviewed the other side because they only really interviewed one person, and the rest were just clips of people making them sound like they didn't care and they just wanted to make money.
             I think it should be okay to download something and change it into something else, as long as you give credit to the original artist, and you don't just copy everything word for word (or whatever you want to call copying the song exactly the same to what it was). I think using parts of other films in your own film to prove a point or just to use because you don't have the effects you want is okay, as long as you again, give credit where it's due. I would be okay with someone using my art and changing it into their own as long as people knew they got the original idea from me as the artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment